The Idea Fund – Frequently Asked Questions
Where do I submit my application?
This is an online application through Submittable (Apply Here).
Individual artists and collectives are eligible to apply. Applicants are invited to attend one of three online Info Sessions to learn more about the application process and how The Idea Fund supports Greater Houston Area artists.
What are some past projects or ideas that have been funded?
Here are some types of projects that have been awarded in the past and/or fit within our mission/vision:
- The work of an individual artist, collective or temporary association of artists
- A project of a temporary or permanent artist-run space
- Curatorial projects that focus on unconventional artistic practice
- An exhibition that has a strong public component
- (i.e., projects which involve the public via process, production, or presentation)
- Publications of creative writing, including printed matter, and online publications
- A public event, performance, or intervention
- A screening, lecture, or workshop series
- Site-specific installations
- Web-based projects
- Audio, video, and photo projects
- Online/virtual engagement.
- Social practice-based projects
- Community events
Projects must adhere to Covid-19 safety precautions and restrictions to ensure the health and safety of everyone involved; this includes wearing masks, providing space for social distancing, and limiting groups to the size authorized by the Texas Department of Health and Houston’s Mayor’s Office.
What kind of projects will NOT be funded?
• Projects proposed by a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization
• Projects in which the lead artist lives outside of Houston
• Projects in which all artists reside outside of Houston
• Projects that do not have a public component (i.e., projects which do not involve the public via process, production, or presentation)
• Projects that are not accessible and presented to the public
• Projects that do not exemplify innovative practices in contemporary art
I’m a Houston artist, but I want to work with some artists or do some of my projects outside of the city, can I still apply?
Yes. But please note that an aspect of the project (an exhibition, a performance, a workshop, etc.) MUST happen in the Greater Houston Area. The Houston artist must also be the lead artist. We also would prefer that you remain living in Houston during your project and strongly encourage awardees to source and higher locally as needed.
When will I find out if I got the grant?
Grant recipients will receive a notification via phone in mid-December, Those whose applications were denied will receive an email in December. Please provide us with your most updated contact information so that we can connect.
How many project proposals can I submit?
You can submit as many as you like. Groups or collectives can submit one and each member can submit multiple individual projects. Just note that the likelihood that a project with the same lead artist of a group/collective and an individual project to be funded is slim. It is the decision of the panel of jurors.
If you have further questions, please attend one of our virtual information sessions. For more information, check out some of the previously funded The Idea Fund projects or reach out to us at email@example.com.